Adult Christian Education
Sunday morning Christian education for adults at Christ Church meets in Fox Hall between the two morning services, from 9:15 to about 10:15. Classes run each Sunday from September through May, except for certain occasions like Easter and parish event days.
Previous books and discussion series have included:
- A Different Way to Read the Bible by Rob Bell.
- Reconstructing The Gospel: Finding Freedom from Slaveholder Religion
- Spiritual Underpinnings of Anglo-Catholicism (discussion series by Sewanee School of Theology Professor Dr. David Cobb)
- The Last Week (discussion series by Sewanee School of Theology Professor Dr. Rebecca Wright)
- The Rule of Benedict by Joan Chittister
- The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne
- Jesus and the Disinherited by Howard Thurman
- The Third Reconstruction by William Barber
- Healing the Heart of Democracy by Parker Palmer
- Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Children’s ministries at Christ Church include childcare for our youngest members and Sunday School and Children’s Chapel for children ages 5 and older.
Children are always welcome to attend worship services at Christ Church.
Childcare for those 4 and under begins at 9:00 and continues until approximately 11:15, when these little ones join their families for Eucharist.
Our church school for those 5 and older begins at 9:15, as the Adult Education classes start in Fox Hall. For this hour, we use Godly Play stories. This hands-on approach allows the children to participate in telling a story, discuss it, create art, and learn to live in Christian community. Over a three-year cycle, we explore together many of the stories of the people of God.
Children 5 and older join their parents for the first part of the 10:30 service. We gather in the Lady Chapel for the middle portion of the service. We are excited this year to be “Building Our Faith: Brick By Brick” and using Legos to learn more about the Bible! We have some sharing time and pray and then join our families for the Peace. We also help to offer the gifts by processing in with the cross at the Offertory.
Christ Church youth participate in Chattanooga Episcopal Youth (ChattEY), a regional gathering of middle and high-schoolers from Episcopal churches in and around Chattanooga. ChattEY meets once a month throughout the school year, typically on Second Sundays, for food, games, music and service projects.
Other special events for children and families are offered throughout the year, especially during special days and seasons in the life of the church.